Tuesday 28 January 2014

Islam Mohammed - He never did it for Money

Islam Mohammed explaining to me about boat making skills





A trip to the village of Kipungani gives you an impression that the synergy of Kipungani Explorer resort is working where so many others may have failed – in bringing the benefits of tourism to those who most need them such as a well-coordinated CSR. I noted that Kipungani Explorer enjoys a uniquely harmonious relationship with the residents of neighboring Kipungani Village. Half of the lodge's staff come from the village, from where the resort buys all the seafood and materials for repairing the chalets and boats. I visited a school in the village and notably they have helped to completely rebuild and equip the Kipungani Primary School through a charitable partnership with donors.

It is through this 4 hours tour to the village, the mangrove in the vicinity and the dunes, that I wish to mention a little bit of one - Islam Mohammed.

Islam was my tour guide in my brief visit at Kipungani and I must say he has mastered his skills to perfection. He will tell you about the crabs, different types of mangroves, be patient with you to observe safe fish hatcheries in back water, take you to basking point of alligators and engage you with the craftsmanship of boat repairs and even facilitates you to have a conversation with the extremely friendly locals. He will helps you to collect pieces of artifacts scattered everywhere dating the Arab eras among others things.

Matonga - wild monkey orange cracked open and partly devoured.


What interested me most is the fact that in the midst of this walkabout and climbing the dunes, Islam anticipated my needs in a most amazing manner. He climbed coconut trees to  bring me Madafu – fresh coconut juice from the palm trees. He had also previously observed that I’m adventurous and some special wild fruits locally called matonga – monkey wild oranges was of special interest to me.  They are plenty on the trees but they are only ready for eating by humans only when they fall on their own. It calls for patience – at times days to get it. However Islam went out of his way and managed to get me two on check out day. They formed my most precious items to take back home with me.

My collection during a village walkabout in Kipungani. 



This is worth mentioning - Having worked in the hospitality industry – at least on average one would imagine hotel staff may go out of their way in order to receive traditional incentives of tips from satisfied guests. But it is not always the case.

Honestly after almost four hours with Islam in the village, it is very right and in order to give a token of appreciation regardless of the notion. Well, surprise! Surprise! – When I dipped my hand in the pocket and gave Islam on the principal of attitude of gratitude – can you imagine he resisted to receive? He politely told me I did not have to give him that kind of money. Can you imagine he said it was too much? I was so moved  because it came out clear – what he did for me – he had done it all from his heart. I had to convince him to take it and that he needed it and in giving and receivng is how the universe works.
That to me is passion taken to the next level and service of the 5th kind. This are some of the little special things that make Kenya a very unique destination.

He did it from his heart and I will never forget him for as long as giving and receiving exists.

And the following day – as I have mentioned Islam Mohammed caught up with before departure to deliver the fruits which I honestly think should be in the market. I had not even requested him to do so. He anticipated my needs.

I celebrate you Islam Mohammed.

No comments:

Post a Comment