Friday 10 January 2014

John Kirkwood - Thank you for your great Deeds.



John Kirkwood was a volunteer at Starehe boys’ Centre for some years. I remember seeing him walk his dog very early in the morning. He was virtually interested in all the activities of the school. If any school club wanted to make visits – john always provided us. I at time think he bought two land cruisers purposely for our sake. My first near encounter with him is when one of the student was dying of cancer. The Late Philemon – he used to arrange transport for us to go and visit him in the hospital.

I went for many school trips –visited schools like Limuru girls and Loreto in the name of clubbing. I recall at some point I was an official of a club we had just formed – Theological debating society .. we did deep debate some of which is captured in Milele Africa – my first book. We went to alliance boys at some point for a presentation. 

Visiting Turkana for one week was the climax of all and I will never forget it. We had just left school and a few of us joined John in giving his mother a Kenyan trip. It is in this trip I saw acres of petrified forest, The impact of this trip was so tremendous that I knew telling it to the people when I went back to Nairobi would not be enough. I started writing note on the way.
John Kirkwood has been working in Uganda for some time now. 

Thank you for touching our hearts and showing us the real world when you could.

The below link tell a little of his story –





No comments:

Post a Comment